Our Lady of Good Health Church (1734)
St. John de Britto was beheaded here. (4th February 1693).
St. John de Britto Chapel (1890)
This is the place, where our saint knelt down and prayed before he was beheaded.
The exact place where St. John de Britto’s body was impaled on the stake. Here you will find placed on the wall, part of the stake and relic.
St. John de Britto Church (1947)
It was put up to commemorate the canonization of John de Britto. It took 12 years to complete the church, which is of 120 feet length and 36 feet breadth. The twine tall tower of the church adds more beauty to this church.
Adoration Chapel (2011)
This chapel is just closer to the martyrdom place of red sand saint.
Candle Church (2012)
Place of offering the lighted candle. The Holy Red Sand is kept in this Chapel.
The Pictorial life story of the saint is displayed at the Museum
THE RELICS OF THE SAINT
Our Saint's Crucifix
Fearing that the Crucifix he used for the Liturgy could be desecrated, the day before his martyrdom, John de Britto gave it to a Brahmin neophyte. Almost after 296 years sojourn, the Crucifix was presented to Oriyur Shrine on the 21st of July 1989 by Fr. Jacques Gerald, the the Provincial of France.
The Red Sand
After the Martyrdom of Britto, there was heavy unprecedented rain for 8 contunous days and the entire soil of the place turned red with the blood of the Saint. Even today hundreds of people receive miraculous graces through the Red Sand.
St. John de Britto Chapel (Kazhumara Kovil) is the exact place where St. John de Britto’s body was impaled on the stake. Here you will find placed on the wall, part of the stake.
42 feet Statue of St. John de Britto is erected in front of the shrine church and it was consecrated by His grace. Most Rev. Antony Pappusamy, D.D, STD, Archbishop of Madurai on 02.10.2021. We are very grateful to Mr. S. Xavier Britto & family, Chairman at Kerry Indev Logistics Pvt Ltd, and Mr. Paul Sengol Raj & family, proprietor of JSPR Constructions, Madurai for their generous financial contribution to the construction of the statue.